21/02/2009

Unattachment

As I walked into the shower and the water started pouring on me I realised that was the day I was really going to loose my hair. Handfuls of it were lying on the bathroom floor. There was no postponing it.

I came out of the shower and shaved my head. Not a drop fell from my eyes. But I cried when I was done. Not because of the hair itself, as it would grow back, but because it felt like a strong rite of passage.

In the mirror, looking back at me, I saw a woman with no unnecessary adornments. To my surprise, I thought her beautiful. And it was then that I realised I was not hair, not appearance, but essence. And those who loved me would go on loving me for what I am. They could see beyond the looks.

It was so liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you posted a comment come back and read my reply. Thank you!